Monday 15 June 2015

My Chromebook Adventure/The Tutu Within!

My Chromebook Adventure/The Tutu Within!


Straight from my brain to the page, no planning, just spewed onto the doc!  Enjoy!


Towards the end of Term 1, 2015 I received 4 new Acer Chromebooks.  I already had one so I was ecstatic that I now had 5 Chromebooks.  This was the start of a mountain high load of ideas and learning possibilities that my children and I would be able to be involved in.


So where do I start …


Basically I’m a tutu!  I have taken this opportunity on board and sought out information, videos, blogs, vln posts, facebook etc to find ideas/ways/methodologies/inspiration to use in implementing the use of these chromebooks.


My number one form of ‘Professional Development’ has been me!  I am enthusiastic about technology.  I have ‘tutued’ with Google Apps for Education in order to use it in my class.  I felt that this was a good start but the need for real P.D is definitely required to effectively use this technology in my class and to pass that learning on to my fellow chromebook colleagues.  With help from the I.C.T committee (Roz and Norah) I met with Rosemary Murphy from Allandale School to see how she uses Chromebooks in her Year 5 & 6 class.


Here are some points from the meeting we had with my added opinions


1:1 Chromebooks is definitely the way to go - I fully agree with this!  5 chromebooks for 22 children has been a struggle.  We are lucky that we were able to borrow chromebooks from other classes when we were doing our Mini-Beast slides.  We also used our black laptops which have Chrome as the internet browser.  It was amazing to be able to see the level of engagement of all the children who were actively preparing the slides.  This is the ultimate payoff of one-to-one devices.  Every child engaged in learning, researching and presenting information, checking spelling, looking up words, searching images, downloading images and even youtube videos - which I hadn’t even taught them how to do.  Our tamariki were collaborating and supporting one another in their learning.  They were sharing their work with each other, they were providing suggestions and praise for each other as well.  Leasing chromebooks is the best option.


Get a tv and a chromecast - I am very thank you that I now have a tv and a chromecast.  This will enable my children and I to share and collaborate together in real time when working in small groups for mainly writing to begin with but also maths and then reading.  The ability for children to instantly ‘cast’ their computer screen to the tv screen for other children to learn from or comment on will be thrilling and motivational.  This is still very new but I look forward to exploring the possibilities that this technology will provide.  Now that I have the tv in my class it will be used daily to enhance my childrens learning.  The chromecast was fairly inexpensive ($59.00) so I am very grateful to have this set up in my class. (Thanks to Matthew for attaching the tv to my teacher’s station)  Projectors are pretty ‘old school’ now.  They are expensive and tvs are getting cheaper and cheaper.  However at this time I still see myself using my projector especially for whole class activities such as presenting Slides and videos as well as GoNoodle stuff.


Apps - Rosemary shared a handful of core apps that she uses regularly with her class.  I will endeavour to try out/make use of these apps in due course.  For now my main focus is developing my childrens ability to navigate and use the core G.A.F.E apps.  I have taken an idea shared by a teacher on the NZ Teachers FB page and come up with a GAFE skills checklist and reward system which I have called G.A.F.E Star!  My children will be able to become a GAFE Star once they can competently demonstrate the listed skills for each GAFE app.  So far we have only looked/learnt about Google Docs, Google Slides and Google Drive.  My children are extremely motivated to learn all the skills and be the first to become google stars.  Suggested apps are WeVideo, Go Animate, StupeFlix, Blogger - all children have their own personal blog to record learner - I am keen to do this but this requires discussion with the I.C.T committee re-value/purpose etc (this may be an option for developing e-portfolios in the future if needed).  I was not sure about the permissions required to load apps onto our chromebooks but Rosemary said it should be straightforward.  Just download it on each chromebook.  We also discussed Admin permission.  Rosemary is her schools Administrator along with the Principal.  I am keen to look into this further and discuss how the admin tools can be used if at all for setting up class lots of folders etc.


Google Classroom/Hapara Teacher Dashboard - we discussed these options.  Rosemary has Hapara Teacher Dashboard but rarely uses it.  I asked about Google Classroom as now that I’ve seen it, it is not actually what I thought it was (obviously needed to do more research).  It would have it’s place but having attempted to use it, it seems that I can set the same sort of assignments/tasks purely by using a google doc and sharing it.  So at this stage I will stick with just ‘sharing’ docs/assignments/task etc with my children.


i-Pad - when I asked about making movies etc using the chromebooks Rosemary said it would be better if you had a class i-Pad as these were more convenient for capturing and editing video.  I have mentioned this to Ana in Ponga as they have i-Pads which we are able to use.  So later along the journey I will give this a go.


Point England School - Auckland - Rosemary highly recommended that a group of teachers from our school visit this school.  They are leaders in I.C.T implementation, use and enhanced learning.  Point England School is a decile 1 school with over 600 students (mainly Pacifica and Maori).  I have visited their school website and it is amazing to see the things that they are doing.  I am now following several of their teachers blogs as they record their I.C.T journey.


Pedagogy - as I have investigated and gotten carried away with all this ‘google, chromebook’ stuff and considered the direction I would like to take I have come across this word several times.  Yes I am a tutu, I want to use these technologies in my class.  I want my children to achieve success and develop pride in their abilities as GAFE stars but I am bugged by the fact that I am just doing it myself.  I do not know if I am really on the right track.  Is this use of technology really enhancing the learning of my children or is it just cool stuff and just tutuing.  What is my understanding of the Pedagogy that sits behind this technology?  What does our school believe?  If I think that one-to-one devices are the way to go is this supported in the schools pedagogy?  Will this be a barrier?  So as I continue along this learning journey I do need to slow down and ensure that what we are doing/learning in our class is grounded in pedagogy and is supported by the school.  All the research that I have come across so far clearly states that schools that are using I.C.T/Chromebooks/i-pads/tvs/chromecast and technology in general are enhancing their students learning because they have got the pedagogy and foundations set and firmly embedded across the school.  As the saying goes … when we’re all paddling our waka in the same direction we’ll get there faster … or maybe that’s just something I mixed up myself.

So where to next?

Continue being a tutu!
Keep in contact with the I.C.T committee via Roz- committee member and my Senior Teacher - re policy, resources etc
Investigate 'pedagogy' further
Plan to use technology - Teaching as Inquiry model for low writers - enhancing their writing by using Chromebooks instead of exercise book and pen.

Complete Part Two of this post ... What am I actually teaching and what are my tamariki learning?

No comments:

Post a Comment