Monday 3 August 2015

Google Classroom!


Google Classroom - I'm loving it ... now!


So my initial thoughts of Google Classroom were not very good.  But now that I have inquired into the use of G.C, and have TUTU-ED with it, I am loving it!  The terminology is obviously America e.g. assignment, turn in etc. but the purpose/application of it is universal.  I have read that G.C is more applicable to secondary school level but once you start using it and think outside the box, it is easy to use it to differentiate the learning in your classroom.

I started off with simple whole class assignments but as I figured out the possibilities I now have several 'classes'/groups set up.  These include classes for each of my writing and reading groups. Whole class assignments for Te Reo Maori me ona Tikanga, Kaupapa Mahi, Key Competencies - Managing Self, Spelling, Cybersafety and Homework.

This has honestly been a break through.  Having the ability to set tasks, attach resources, monitor, view and keep track of the children's learning has been fantastic!  The tamariki are just so quick to pick it up.  Their understanding of how it all fits together is amazing - needless to say the majority 'just know what to do'.  The level of independence and knowledge seemed to double with each assignment they worked on.  I have several tamariki who now lead and tutor others including other teachers.

Google Classroom is incredibly empowering for all tamariki!  They know where and how to access their learning.  They know what they are learning and why. They are engaged and motivated!

As with all learning journeys, there are many paths to travel down with Google Classroom.  I've opened the door of the classroom a little wider and now the tamariki are pushing it open even more than I first expected!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment